Saturday, January 27, 2007

Sightings for Saturday January 27th

There seems to be a sudden invasion of longspurs! I took a short drive along Chemin Ste Julie in Ste-Marthe looking for Snowy owls (Harfang des neiges) (one distant almost pure white bird) but was amazed by the number of longspurs (Bruant lapon)I encountered in several differentflocks - probably close to 100 in all. As a matter of fact I almost ignoredthe first group of 30 because they flew out from a farmer's driveway and I assumed they were house sparrows until they landed in front of me. In acomplete reversal of normal ratos there was one snow bunting (Bruant des nieges) mixed in. A little farther along was a mixed group (about half and half) totalling about 100 birds. I'm not sure I have ever come close to seeing so many longspurs in one day.

Wayne

Châteauguay, rue Higgins: Red-bellied woodpecker (Pic à ventre roux), Carolina wren (Troglodyte de Caroline) S. Denault, S. Rioux - Eastern towhee (Tohi à flancs roux) S. Harvey

Lachute, chemin Thomas-Gore: 6 Red Crossbills (Bec-croisé des sapins) S. Robert, G. Laperrière

Hemmingford, Montee Glass, about half-way betweenHighway 15 and Roxham Road: 7 Wild Turkeys (Didon sauvage) S. Harvey

No comments:

 
Nature Blog Network