Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sightings for Thursday January 17th


Montreal, Mount Royal Cemetary: I went for a quick look in the Mt. Royal Cemetery at 8am today. Not much doing.... but just before leaving, I decided to drive up towards Mt. Murray, to see if I could locate a fox. On the way up I heard a huge racket coming from a group of crows. I turned the car around.... and wouldn't you know... I came across a Great Horned owl (Grand-duc d'Amérique), perched in a large conifer... not too far from the military section. click photo to enlarge

I managed a number of photos, just before the crows got him to move. It didn't go very far... and I found it perched on a snag , in the largest conifer in the G7 sector... the sector that is really like a large plateau, just west of the office I took a good 40 shots from a distance of close to 100 feet. The bird was perched on a snag in that conifer, about 45 feet above the ground... facing the morning sun I spent probably 45 minutes with it ..... and I think that it may still be there now.... the crows have , for the most part, lost interest.... and were returning to harass the owl only from time to time. This is the first time I've had a "Horned " on the property since the 24th of March, 2005 - Chuck Kling
www.pbase.com/hootpix ......Great horned owl still seen there at noon

Baie-du-Febvre, chemin Janelle: Snowy owl (Harfang des neiges), Rough-legged hawk (Buse pattue)

Varennes, near autoroute 30 about 3km east of the exit for chemin de la Baronnie: Snowy owl (Harfang des neiges) - Michel Bertrand

No comments:

 
Nature Blog Network